Day 3 June 23rd, Sunday
Late start today -we paid $77 in the town of Sheridan Wyoming to sleep, but it felt more like a $25 sleep! It seems they call double beds in the states queen beds, but these were no more more queen beds than I am the queen of England. I could only lay facing 1 way, if I faced the inside of the bed, I rolled into a cavern, where Phil already rolled into. If faced the outside, I had to hang on for dear life, for fears of rolling into the cavern. Anyway, good thing we are packing our tea and kettle with us. We hope to have a better sleep tonight.
Along the way, there are a couple things that surprise me
1)I’ve forgotten just how big the sky is. From Montana to Wyoming it’s mostly rolling hills and ranch land. You can see sky forever and land that goes on and on, cows all over the place.
2)Every 3rd vehicle going west is a huge motorhome towing a vehicle or a trailer. In fact there were several times that we saw “pods” of motorhomes traveling together in groups of 5-6. They out number the transport trucks for sure. We were almost wondering if they had a convention somewhere for these big rigs. There were so any on the road.
3) I’ve seen more dead dear on the road than I care to count. I guess when you have miles and miles of ranch land, rolling hills and grass, the deer are plentiful, but out here - same as it is at home - they haven’t learned what a vehicle is yet. In fact we have been warned more than a couple of times not to drive when it is dark, because the roads are full of wildlife.
I have to admit I feel pretty silly even admitting the following, but it made for some laughs in our car, and really that is what I am here for...comic relief! For years I have been a fan of the Moorcroft pottery that so many people seem to have on the Antiques Roadshow. I for some reason thought the manufacturing of it was done in the US, so you can imagine my excitement when we approach the town of Moorcroft. I told Phil I wanted to visit the place where they make this famous stuff. We enter the town of Moorcroft...my first inclination this may not be the place is when I read the population 1909 people, followed by numerous ramshackle buildings. Hmp! I say, I wonder where it is.
Quickly we google it and find it is actually located in....Stoke -on -Trent in Essex, England! Yep, don’t know how I missed that tidbit of information. I am glad we didn’t travel miles out of our way to see it!
We also passed though a town of Gillette, however they did not make the razors, and Phil assured me that Sundance is not where Robert Redford has his film festival.
We haven’t seen anything interesting or monumental today so we decide to take the 21 mile road to see the Devil’s Tower National Monument. Was worth the side trip and felt to get out and walk for about an hour. If you look closely at the last picture you can see some climbers on the rocks. While there, a team of 4 made it to the top.


Hi family,
ReplyDeleteI am enjoying the blog! You certainly are a creative writer, Terry. Thank you for keeping us up-to-date on the travels through taking the time to record things. A gift to us all.
Linda
Thank you Linda! It's been interesting and at times long, however we are looking forward to being back in Canada to start being "real" tourists! :-) Have a good week
DeleteTL
hi Terry
ReplyDeleteI wonder if you guys should consider getting a blow up mattress and taking it along on your travels. the one I had for Maureen when she was here is big but she said it was comfortable to sleep on. this one had a built in pump and blew up really quickly. just a thought. love hearing your stories, keep 'em coming. love, shari
Hey Shari, good suggestion and we may have to consider that. Last night we were in a room where they said there was a futon plus 2 queen beds. We took it because we expected we would all have our own bed to make up for the night with no sleep. We expected the futon to be a couch-futon- fold out bed thing, it was actually a child's chair that rolled out into a bed - too narrow and tiny for Lucas, but we managed to have a better night and a good day today. love TL
Deletehttp://www.rootsoutdoor.ca/details07625058.php--here's a link to the airbed we used
ReplyDelete:-) Thank you Shari!
ReplyDelete